Friday, May 17, 2013

Act Fast

[Warning: Spoilers Ahead]

I was genuinely surprised at how much I loved last night's series finale of The Office, and surprised at how moved I was at times. (Did anyone else get all emo when Erin discovered her birth parents?) At the end of the episode, Pam (played by Jenna Fischer) had a moment alone with the camera where she reflects on the past nine years that the documentary crew has spent filming her workplace (and life). What she said struck a deep, resounding chord:

I didn't watch the whole documentary. After a few episodes it was too painful. I kept wanting to scream at Pam. It took me so long to do so many important things, it's just hard to accept that I spent years being less happy than I could have been. Jim [her husband] was five feet from my desk and it took me four years to get to him. It'd be great if people saw this documentary and learned from my mistakes. Not that I'm a tragic person, I'm really happy now. But it would just, just make my heart soar if someone out there saw this and she [he] said to herself [himself], Be strong, trust yourself, love yourself, conquer your fears. Just go after what you want. And act fast, because life just isn't that long.

When I heard that I immediately thought, Holy crap, I'm Pam!

It's only been during the past year that I have begun to feel that I am actually worthy and deserving of the life that I want. And only a few months ago did I really feel that on a deeper level. And I struggle to maintain that because I have 30 years of living during which, for the most part, I have believed otherwise.

Upon hearing Pam's words, I found myself sort of convinced that she was a real person, that The Office, at least from her perspective, was an actual documentary. I wanted to reach out to her and say, "Thank you for those words of inspiration. Thank you for being brave enough to face the fears and obstacles that stood in your way of getting what you want." (I won't lie, I'm now slightly disappointed that she's not real.)

Reality or not, the words Jenna Fischer spoke as Pam still ring true for me. I would echo her sentiment, in hope of passing on Pam's inspiring words, but hugely as a reminder to myself: Life is short and life is urgent. Don't wait to get what you want and what you deserve. Knowing what you want can be incredibly hard and getting it can be harder. If you don't know how to get it, find help: resources exist in the form of family, friends, strangers, books, uplifting entertainment, and YouTube tutorials. I've been so surprised at the amount of people who want me to succeed, many I barely know. Put on the armor of God but toss aside the armor of invulnerability; destroy that armor with the utmost haste — burn it and bury the ashes — and know that God will take care of you if you let Him.

Don't forget that, Myke.

And thanks, Pam.

1 comment:

  1. "Life is short and life is urgent." <-- I like that. There's this strange juxtaposition in life of learning to live like time is running out, while still living slowly and without frenzy. I'm always working on that one.

    ReplyDelete